Monday 16 February 2015

It all finally started on a beautiful morning in downtown Cranbourne North.  The van was all loaded in preparation for our first trip in the caravan.  How scary huh.  Well of course when I started the long drive down the driveway Deb asked if I had taken off the handbrake on the caravan.  Of course I hadn't.  Obviously that was just a little trap that I had set for Deb to see if she was awake.  She passed. 
The trip through the city was uneventful and before we knew it we were pulling into the caravan park at Colac.  How lucky were we.  A drive through site for our first night.  Of course we looked like real professionals as we plugged in all the hoses and leads, under the watchful eye of a nearby vanner.  No pressure here.  We then decided to set up the awning for our first time so out with the instruction book and as we were following everything to the letter I slipped back into surveillance mode as I observed a huge set of hairy legs at the top of the awning, a mere few millimetres from my hand.  Screaming of course to Deb to get the fly spray, which of course was in one of the dozens of cupboards and drawers in the van but was elusive.  Next best thing was a can of aerogard which I doused this huge hairy spider in.  I am sure he spat it back at me as he stared with his huge brown eyes and obviously was thinking is that the best you have got. 
Being the hero that I am with spiders I knocked it off the awning with the can and stomped it into the ground.  I know, I deserve an Australia day honour for my bravery. 
It was really hot in Colac, partly because my blood pressure was off the map after my close encounter with the spider, so we decided to open the caravan door and just have the wire door closed.  How hard could that be.  We twisted and turned the handle every which way but that bloody door would not separate so it was back to the caravan manual.  How easy it was when we read the book.  Embarrassing really.
After all of that trauma it was a very quiet and relaxing night. 
Woke next morning and packed up the van, which surprisingly went off without a hitch.
On the road about 10 and heading to Apollo Bay through the lovely town of Forrest.  All was just fine but then the closer we got to Skenes Creek the narrower the road became and of course we were driving over the Otway Ranges.  Deb was quite composed for the first part of the trip but by this stage she was not so excited about the trip.  A lot of the bends on this part of the trip had advisory signs of 30, 35 and 40 kph and they were not kidding.  Towing the van now became a bit of a challenge and although the scenery was probably fantastic I saw none of it and Deb, my co driver, also saw nothing.  Of course my phone received an sms during this period and you could say that Deb did not see the funny side of it when I suggested reading the sms.  Anyway we arrived safely and here we are in beautiful downtown Apollo Bay in the dubiously named Apollo Bay Recreation Reserve Caravan Park.  This was my first challenge as I had to reverse into the site.  Thank god for the Towing Course we did as it went in beautifully.  You could probably say that it was not the classiest caravan park in Apollo Bay.  Probably could compare it to one in beautiful downtown Frankston or maybe Werribee.  Not too worried about that as we just need their power and water.  Have already walked down the street and of course had a coffee.  Went to the Information Centre and Deb spied the Zip Line brochure which is out at the Otways Fly walk.  As you know I am bloody terrified of heights and the thought of screaming through the bush on the zip line is probably quite funny to you but I will never be the same.  Maybe this will be the last you hear from me.  If I recover I will let you know what happens tomorrow.  Bye for now.    

No comments:

Post a Comment